Steps for Registering in Malaysian Universities

The OK TAMAM team provides the student with all the necessary consultations about their academic future, guiding them towards the appropriate opportunity to start their educational journey in line with their academic qualifications. We recommend the suitable university according to the academic degree they wish to pursue, whether it is a diploma, bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D.


After selecting the appropriate university for the student and fulfilling all the required conditions, such as the documents required from the country where the student obtained their certificates, like the grade point average and the branch they graduated from (arts or science), the application is submitted on behalf of the student without any financial charges for the registration process, through our team at the OK TAMAM group to obtain the preliminary approval from the university.

Required Documents:

Most universities require the following documents for applying for a two-year diploma or a bachelor’s degree:

  • A colored copy of the passport showing only the first page’s details for initial approval. Later, when applying for approval from the Immigration Department, the student needs to submit colored copies of all the passport pages, including the empty ones, with each passport photo on a separate page.
  • A personal colored photo with a white background, size 3.5×4.5, ensuring clear facial features without wearing glasses or lenses. The photo must be centered in terms of dimensions by the photographer’s technique, and it should be in formal attire and have a formal appearance.
  • Clear colored copies of the student’s educational certificates and transcripts, translated into English and certified by the issuing authority, whether it’s the Ministry of Education, the school, as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country from which the certificate was obtained, and the translation office certification.
    Note: Some universities require international students applying for admission to send a copy of their 10th, 11th, and 12th-grade transcripts.
  • A copy of the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE certificate (if available), as it is recognized and exempts the student from the English language proficiency test or studying the preparatory year to master the English language if the student meets the minimum scores according to the university the student is registered with. If the student is directly accepted to study specialized courses without submitting a language certificate, they must submit the IELTS certificate when renewing their residency for the second year, according to the rules of the Immigration and Residence Department in Malaysia. Some universities may also exempt international students from submitting a language certificate or passing an English language proficiency test, provided that the student graduated from the British IGCSE system or the American system.


  • If the student is required to take an English language proficiency test and does not reach the minimum scores for passing the test (according to each university’s requirements), they must study English for usually one or two semesters based on the score obtained.
  • If the student is rejected due to not meeting the minimum GPA required according to their certificate for preliminary approval, the student may be accepted into the foundation year.

What is the Foundation Year?

This preparatory year is a foundational course in universities before starting to study the specialized courses that the student wishes to pursue, designed to enhance their study and learning skills. The foundation courses the student takes are related to the specialty they wish to study. After completing this foundation year, whether the student’s desired specialty is in engineering, social sciences, arts, or administrative sciences, they proceed to their chosen field of study.

Who is Required to Study the Foundation Year? And Do All Malaysian Universities Require Attending the Foundation Year?

The requirements vary among universities, as well as according to the student’s academic qualifications, the branch they graduated from (arts or science), and their GPA in the subjects they studied in high school (baccalaureate). For example:

  • Graduates from the arts section may not be qualified to study scientific specialties like engineering in some universities but may be qualified for specialties in administrative sciences or arts.
  • Students with low grades in subjects like mathematics and wishing to study engineering specialties may need to study the preparatory year.
  • Students graduating from the arts system and wishing to study medicine must attend the preparatory year.
  • Students who have not completed 12 years of schooling, for instance, those who have not finished 12th grade in high school, are required to study this year if they wish to continue their studies, whether for a diploma or a bachelor’s degree.

Questions and Answers about the Foundation Year


If a student has studied the preparatory foundation year at a private university and wishes to pursue a bachelor’s degree at another public university, is this possible? And will this certificate be accepted?

Yes; after completing this year and obtaining the foundation certificate, the student can submit this certificate to another university. It will be accepted for studying towards a bachelor’s degree, but we advise the student to continue their studies at the same university from which they obtained the foundation certificate.


What subjects are taught in the foundation year?

If you are required to study the foundation year, you must choose the field you wish to study, for example: (Foundation in Engineering), (Foundation in Science), (Foundation in Management), etc. The subjects taught to students in the foundation year at all universities in Malaysia include Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, BioSciences, and others, depending on the requirements of the field the student wishes to study in the bachelor’s degree.


Are the fees for the foundation year fixed across all universities?

Of course not; the fees vary from one university to another.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *